PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bad news, Classic Flight is pulling out of Newquay
Old 26th Mar 2015, 22:54
NutLoose

Received 2,835 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Read

It was about setting up a public attraction. We became the restoration site because there was to be no Coventry site. They were moving lock stock and barrel at first but something or more like someone changed that to the relief of the engineers facing a move to Cornwall. Read the original press releases about them coming here. They wanted more footfall than they were ever going to get in CVT, tapping into the tourist trade here in Cornwall. They set up the trust Classic Aircraft Trust and together with the advantage offered by the government Enterprise Zone, they would have benefited from some reduced rates and rentals etc. They were aware of future cost and increases, they have simply decided not to pay them and return to whence they came. The founder is a very experienced businessman apparently and I am sure he knew/knows exactly what he was doing. I guess things may have changed at CVT in the meantime but I believe they were never intent on staying here long term. They are now stating visitor numbers again suggesting the complete opposite of what they said three years ago.

Newquay Airport have been extremely supportive of the Museum here but constantly changing goal posts by this Conventry based organisation has only lead to delay the anouncement finally issued yesterday.
I have little time or regard for Cornwall Council but Newquay Airfield is a major drain on their resources as last I heard the airport was making a loss exceeding three million pounds a year. 404 hangar is a prime asset and they need to pull in as much in rental income as they can, hopefully it will see useful aviation related activity again very soon
Gents

The story doing the rounds is that the local council gave them a good deal with the rent of the hangar for the first year, then the rent would increase after the first twelve months. But the story goes they have not been paying the rent and they had been told to vacate the hangar.
All in all a mess and no-one wins in the end.
From the above thread.

Last edited by NutLoose; 26th Mar 2015 at 23:10.