PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2015, 20:09
Odysseus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I may comment from within my limited area of expertise: people who successfully commit suicide are indeed often oblivious to collateral damage for example a jumper from a tall building who hits an unfortunate passerby on the pavement below. What is extraordinarily rare however is the combination of (1) a successful suicide (not just attempted) who takes a large number of people with him or her in the implementation of the suicide plan; (2) no before- or after- messaging or notes; and (3) a successful suicide plan that requires a sequence of deliberate acts and not a momentary irrevocable act.

And in the absence of information, the vacuum is filled with speculation. (Exactly as I am doing now). People want to be able to assess the risk themselves rather than be patronized by the professionals. This very likely is as true in aviation as it is in my line of work.

When I first lost a friend and classmate in the Silkair crash, is when I first realized just how little information the travelling public were ever allowed to hear or read about these incidents. And how politicized air 'accident'* investigations are (something I'm sure professional pilots decry as well).

*(scare quotes around the word accident because SilkAir was not an accident of course...)