PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two air disasters in one day
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2003, 17:46
BAKELA
Registered User *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Very sad indeed.

Condolences to the family and friends of all the deceased.

Adverse weather combined with those mountains are not the best friend to any of us. If you can't get IFR over the top the best is to stay put. I remember about 10 years ago when I took an aircraft (very basic SE p!sscat) to Nelspruit to demonstrate to a potential buyer. The WX clamped in over the mountains. I was told by some locals to "take it up the Ngodwana valley and you'll get through". However, I decided to wait for the WX to clear - four days before I could get back over the mountains to Jo'burg! Had a jolly good time however as my little Avis jammy and a cosy little place called the Karula Hotel in White River made for pleasant passing of the time.

In this case not all senior executives in the helo were from the same company but it is always good practise not to allow several senior company officials from the same company to travel in one aircraft together. The Falcon 10 accident near Tzaneen in the '80's was a classic example of having a whole executive team killed in one accident.