PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2015, 11:04
LadyL2013

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
athonite - not the poster you addressed, but I also work in the field.

IMO, mental health needs to be treated and addressed in the same way as any other illness. Many sufferers are entirely capable of carrying out their job as if they are well, others may require medication or therapy to do so and some may need to stop work temporarily whilst they recover.

There is still a lot of stigma and ignorance surrounding it in terms of what people think a person with mental ill health is going to act like or how competent they are able to be. I know from speaking to some friends in the aviation industry that some airlines can be very harsh about it and others can be pretty good.

Considering the prevalence of MH problems most of us have probably been piloted by a sufferer. I think when you make it a very taboo thing, it drives it underground and problems may only get worse. Indeed I would encourage a very open and honest MH culture within aviation where a sufferer can be assessed and treated so that if possible they can continue their career with the appropriate support.

Of course it may mean depending on the severity and type of illness that some may be unable to fly again and absolutely this should be the case if there is any risk beyond normal. The truth is though is that many sufferers can be effectively treated and return to 'normal' the same as many physical illnesses.