PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysia Airlines A330 hard landing at YMML
Old 26th Mar 2015, 00:59
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
So their automation Dependancy is already a well established cancer,
The problem is it is not only automation dependency that is such an insidious factor but the woolly thinking that is seemingly ingrained in the technical training regime of some cultures. I shake my head at the stories I hear from respected friends who fly overseas. I recently talked to a very experienced Australian 777 Korean Air captain some time back.

He gave his new Korean F/O (around 500 hours TT) a leg. ATIS showed CAVOK with crosswind 15 knots at destination. Captain got the F/O to brief him on what steps he would take to conduct the crosswind landing. F/O gave concise word perfect briefing about technique he would use, including the fact the crosswind was from the left and how he would use rudder and aileron to counter the left crosswind during the flare.

During final it was obvious the crosswind had abated and only a slight wind now straight down the runway. The F/O stayed coupled to the ILS all the way down, but at the flare and to the utter surprise of the captain, the F/O kicked on the rudder and lowered a wing and nearly went off to one side. The captain took over almost too late to prevent this debacle but managed to recover and got the 777 straight again.

During the "discussion" that took place while taxiing, the captain asked the F/O what the hell he was up to when there was no crosswind. The F/O replied that he had flown the aircraft exactly as he had previously briefed and that it wasn't his fault if the ATIS was wrong... Words failed the captain who thought he had seen it all in this carrier.