PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2015, 23:13
DCP123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jouty Did Not Rule Out Decompression

CNN has a transcript of the press conference:

CNN.com - Transcripts

Remi Jouty - the head of the BEA - never made the statement attributed to him by the Guardian and some posting here ruling out explosive decompression. Here is what he actually said (as translated by CNN) when asked about a loss of pressure:

REPORTER (via translator): France TV (INAUDIBLE). Do you have any data on depressurization?

JOUTY: At the moment, no. Beginning of an idea. And without going into details, I can't elaborate intellectually and I wouldn't want to do it so as not to go along a path which might be wrong. A depressurization scenario, which might stand in depressurization scenario. I can't elaborate and I refuse to try. A standard depressurization scenario which might tie in with these elements.

I suspect the translation is imperfect, but what I hear is that he refused to speculate. I am hard pressed to imagine that the CNN translation could be so far off that the actual statement supported the Guardian's report that M. Jouty said that "the information investigators had put together suggested the plane had not exploded and did not suffer a “classic decompression situation”."

The Guardian, and any other media outlet saying that M. Jouty ruled out decompression, simply got the story wrong. It happens. Now they need to run a retraction.

Anyone who speaks French and listened to the press conference please let the rest of us know what you think of M. Jouty's comments.