PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2015, 20:25
Rananim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Folks, as former check airman on the 747-400, as SOP I would command a "simulated" RD in cruise to the crew who I was giving an IOE or check ride to.

Results would blow your mind ---- most "effed up" big time. So, I would leave the cockpit, tell them to bone up on procedures, and I'll be baaaack and run the exercise again.

Some didn't even know how to do a rapid RD properly, some couldn't even get the mask out of holder, some hadn't ever experience this exercise before, some did not know how to preflight the system, some didn't know where the sanitary wipes were, some didn't know how to re-install the mask after use.

It's your life and your pax lives ---- get smart and make the time to do it right.
John Galt

This was posted yesterday and subsequently ridiculed by at least one.Yet they are very wise words and may well be pertinent.It is difficult to get right and the simulator can not reproduce the physiological effects of a decompression.No civilian pilot has seen the inside of a decompression chamber.Many pilots may only know the sequence of the drill and not fully understand what it entails in real life(explosive=ear/lung/cavity trauma).
The subtle failure to pressurize has been discounted due ECAM warnings and I am sure that well-trained Lufthansa pilots can cope with rapid depressurization(valve/pack failure) but what about explosive?Not so easy.

The drill should be memorized and repeatedly performed so it can be done with a blindfold.Self protection should be achieved within 5 seconds(glasses/headsets can be obstacles).Establishing comms(vital because its a coordinated drill)can be tricky and the traps explained and trained until right(SPKR vol,is there a boom/mask switchover).Familiarity with the mask and its operation is so important;the pre-flight test and what to watch for,the NORM/100 and when to use each,how to select/de-select EMRG with mask on(must be practiced repeatedly),how to ensure the door is closed after drill to enable normal comms etc.Many operators are woefully deficient in their focus on such a vital drill and instead choose to focus on SOPs which have never saved anyones life.Airmanship first.Always.