PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is booking out a legal requirement?
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2015, 16:42
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems that the theme of the discussion has shifted to "would you like someone to watch over you while you fly?".

For myself, I see that as a personal preference, either choice deserving respect. The minute you take "innocent" passengers, you owe it to them to take all precautions in their favour. If you're by yourself in Canada, within 25 miles of where you took off, there is no requirement to tell anyone you went anywhere. Farther than that, flight notification requirements apply.

Personally, for my solo flying, it's none of anyone's business where I come and go. My wife knows where I am, and whom to call, if I'm not where I should be. When I lived alone, with the plane in my back yard, I certainly did not look for anyone to tell I was going flying, I just went. If I crashed, well, that's what I keep an ELT in service for! Now, with cell phone, two different portable radios, a SPOT, still the ELT, and a wife who likes to have a rough idea where I am, I feel pretty secure. As for lying in a crashed plane in the freezing cold, I dress for it before I fly. I don't worry about going for a walk, drive, or ATV ride alone, why would I worry any more about flying alone? My personal best for being alone in the plane, was camping last summer in Labrador, where I believe that I was 93 miles form the nearest other person. But, with a sat phone, and two independent ways to be found, I did not worry! A flight plan really does not work well up there, 'cause unless the sat phone works, you cannot open and close it anyway... I like sat phones, but I would never depend upon one!

When I take my 11 year old daughter camping in the plane, my wife knows, daughter has the cell phone, knows how to activate the SPOT, and has instructions as to how to use the portable radio to ask for help. Similarly, any other passenger gets a briefing, and someone (I choose) knows where we're going.

If an aerodrome wanted to know every time I took off, I would politely say that they are welcomed to look out the window and watch, but writing it down or telling anyone, is an intrusion upon my privacy! Sort of like the rules of listening to public radio transmissions, listen all you want, but do not record or divulge!

So personally, I would rise against what I now understand as a requirement to "book out" when flying my plane. But, that is just my personal preference, and not intended to sway anyone elses preference....