PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Statins Bad press
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2015, 15:42
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Thanks Radgirl - appreciated.

I have to say - one really has to grip these GP's in general because you are made to feel inferior when they spout on about a specific drug and if you question them over it, they look down their noses at you asif to say - what do you know sonny?
I have "waded" through statins for the last 5 years. First ones (simvastatin) crippled me. I could hardly walk and it felt like my hips were failing on me. I did some research and suspected the satins. I then took myself off them for a month only to find my hip pains went completely. I went back to the GP and told him this and he told me I was one in a million suffering these side effects. So he put me on Lipitor. After several weeks, no aches or pains but I began to experience some very 'cloudy' thinking. Almost as if I would think about something but was struggling to get to the end of the thought process???
I couldn't put my finger on it, just - fuzzy thinking?? This dragged on for months and months until - research flagged up that this could be a side effect of statins. Stopped them immediately and lo and behold, the clarity in my thinking returned almost overnight!
OK - so more research on statins - went to a different doc and told him my plight. He listened (for once) and we both looked at the range of statins that might help me. By now, I had settled on Fluvastatin because of its propensity NOT to contribute towards diabetes. Sorry can't give you that buddy - it's not on our NHS list of cheap and common drugs. Try this one - Crestor. That was 6 months ago. All went well, it is definitely an aggressive cholestorol killer, my figures plumetted (UK: 5.2 to 3.8).

But now I find that Crestor has been found to increase the chances of diabetes by atleast 17%. I have stopped this now as well.

Who to believe, what to believe.......I wish Doctors would either do more research on the drugs they peddle or atleast be totally forthcoming about the side effects and not treat all patients like dullards!
Rant - off.