PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JetStar carry on baggage
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2015, 11:04
Di_Vosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a point to this thread?

I read the same thing (I think) on FB the other day.

So what? She had to pay another $22.00 or so on what would probably have been a sub-$100.00 one way trip. Ballina to Melbourne, IIRC. Still pretty cheap and still probably cheaper than the taxi fare to anywhere south of the ML CBD. (Assuming I've got MEL as the correct destination )

J* do this kind of thing regularly at ML. A flight will be selected and they will check the weight of all the carry on bags. Some flights give J* around $3000.00 in extra revenue, which isn't too bad considering that there are only around 180 pax on board.

Modern air travel is the most constrained form of transport since slave ships!
Please! These kind of constraints come about due to the public desire to pay an unreasonably low cost to get from A to B. This gives airline incentives to find out ways and means of making an unsustainable "base fare" to become cost effective. This gives rise to the "Plus Plus" costs of things such as paying surcharges for pretty much anything, and introducing ridiculously low check and carry on bag limits in order to gain some revenue from people carrying what would normally be considered to be typical bag weights for a holiday.

If you're wondering why the add on costs are so sneaky and pervasive, look in a mirror.

DIVOSH!