PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAIRNS AIRPORT - Dangerous fuel leak
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2015, 10:38
Pilot58

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CASAweary
A source informed me today that Cairns airport has a severe fuel leak underground. It has been leaking for 2 years with fuel vapours escaping airside around aerobridges etc and little to nothing has been done to rectify it. Furthermore my source tells me that the current operations manager doesn't understand the dangerous issue because he is in fact a security manager only.The general manager of operations is a check-in chick who only knows about terminal chair colours and also doesn't understand the danger. Can the Townsville refueller please confirm the status of this problem? Apparently the leak cannot be found and lots of Jet A1 is escaping and being extracted at times via heavy machinery.
Cairns has no experienced safety manager, with the human resources manager filling the role, and she does a very poor job at that. The CEO is aware of the concerns but has chosen to bury the issue. On top of that they have no environmnetal manager, just a uni student filling in the position. They have had several environmntal leaks into the Barron river which leads to the great barrier reef, again without one concern. It seems money is the main priority. The airport has also had subcontract workers working at heights without protection with one almost falling off a terminal building and a host of security breaches.

I have been told that the CEO has sopent nothing on the airport since it was privatised 4 years ago and that the situation is getting serious. Safety is being ignored. I wonder if the Board and JP Morgan are aware??
Has Lipmann taken over fuel at Cairns now ?