PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2015, 09:07
Aldente

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aldente View Post
I had the same thought. Just after TOC not an unreasonable time for one pilot to visit the toilet (especially if you'd meant to go on a busy turnaround but didn't). Just one pilot and cabin crew member in flight deck? (Well SOP in my airline anyway), rapid decompression and neither of the flight deck occupants get mask on in time. Other pilot incapacitated before gaining access to flight deck?
Sheep:-
Ok in an A320 there is pax oxygen system outlet in the toilet (drop down masks as in the cabin)and the cockpit door auto unlocks during during a decompression. So possible but not likely.
As in mine (Boeing) - just wondered how long the trip from toilet to being usefully back in your seat (with mask on and O2 flowing) would take, with maybe only 20 secs useful consciousness? The initial shock and subsequent adrenaline rush would boost heart rate dramatically thereby increasing the body's demand for O2. May have collapsed in flight deck. Other pilot may have failed to get mask on in time and cabin crew member unable to help or get their own on properly. It's all very well doing it in the relaxed confines of a safety day but ASFAIK they don't practice donning a mask themselves that often....