PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tenerife (sorry, but I just can't help myself)
Old 25th Mar 2015, 03:14
chris lz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tenerife (sorry, but I just can't help myself)

For commercial pilots especially,

It's anniversary time for Tenerife, and Youtubers are in full swing with their endless Van Zanten the arrogant, ego-driven pilot, or even murder posts.

Today there was this

Albert Johnson: "the KLM guy took off WITHOUT CLEARANCE"

me: "But not on purpose. That is absolutely key to understanding this accident."

Albert Johnson "Uh.. yes on purpose.. he did not want to stay.. he did not want to be responsible for the costs an over night delay would have cost KLM.... thought you said you studied this?"

me: "GO TO PPRuNE, the pre-eminent pilot forum and ask some real commercial pilots their opinion on this. Then get back to me. You will quickly realize how mistaken you are."
-------

OK, I'm putting myself on the line. Am I correct in saying what I believe to be rather obvious, that the consensus among commercial pilots and aviation professionals is that it is virtually unthinkable that Captain Van Zanten took off KNOWING he did not have the clearance? If I am proven wrong, I will go back with tail between legs and report back to the other forum.

Thank you

Last edited by chris lz; 25th Mar 2015 at 03:56.