PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - At one with the plane and the four stages...
Old 25th Mar 2015, 00:54
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
My at one with the airplane AHH HA moment happened very early in my flying career (late 1970's). I helped an elderly gentleman wash his C 172. After we finished he offered me a ride.

Very early in the flight I started wondering how he could fly the airplane seemingly without moving the controls and how the instruments never seem to move in level flight. The flight ended with an approach that started with the throttle slowly closed downwind abeam the numbers and a very gentle continuous turn to a short final and the barest squeek from the tyres as we touchdown on the numbers.

This simple flight showed me what mastery of an airplane was like. I have gotten close to his level of smoothness a few times, but never for a whole flight.

It turned out the pilot had got his license in 1930 and had over 30 K hours and a "been there done that " resume that very few other pilots could equal, although you would never know it from talking to him as like many, but not all the old timers, he did not blow his own horn.

Last edited by Big Pistons Forever; 25th Mar 2015 at 01:23.