PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is booking out a legal requirement?
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2015, 00:10
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never cease to be amazed by the eccentricities of British aviation.
I feel the same way about some of the idiosyncrasies associated with flying in Australia.

Some of us will recall the case of Michael Bentine's son who went missing in 1971.

while his elder son, Gus, was killed when a Piper PA-18 (Super Cub, registration G-AYPN) crashed into a hillside at Ditcham Park Woods near Petersfield, Hampshire, on 28 August 1971. His body, together with that of the pilot and the aircraft, was found on 31 October 1971. Bentine's subsequent investigation into regulations governing private airfields resulted in his writing a report for Special Branch into the use of personal aircraft in smuggling operations.
They had not "booked out" and Bentine who was a well known comedian was very vocal about this aspect.

I can't understand why anyone would not want to book out (or whatever you want to call it). When I say this I'm not talking about unmanned landing strips but places where this a presence in the form of A/G, AFISO or even ATC.

Surely it's common sense to let someone know what you intend to do and how many are on board etc?