PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question for Chuck and others
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2015, 20:41
Piper.Classique

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not great or even very good. I do fly as much as I can in a variety of aerodynes and aerostats.
All flying is valuable, and all are equally valid means of getting into the air. Please can we be pilots, as opposed to glider pilots, balloon pilots, glider pilots, microlight pilots?
There are as many reasons for flying as there are aircraft, I think.
Some aircraft are better for teaching handling and judgement, some for moving heavy loads, others for simply having a pleasant amble around the sky.
In my opinion, and for what it is worth, it doesn't matter whether you fly a glider, a Cessna, a Tiger moth, or a weedhopper. Just do the best you can with what you have, and try to learn something new on every flight.

My PERSONAL and biased opinion is that a glider is a good way to learn judgement for flying gliders. It's not a stepping stone or an inferior activity, rather a near approach to being a bird.

A hot air balloon teaches appreciation of the finer points of meteorology, and a light aircraft is great for unreliable travel and meeting people. I don't think a forced landing in an aeroplane bears much relationship to a field landing in a glider. It's like the difference between consensual sex and rape.

Anyway, please remember that its supposed to be fun....I have fun in a standard Mucha, a tiny hot air balloon, and a supercub. I feel very fortunate to be able to do this, and hope to continue learning in all of them.