PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Need some help regarding Cessna 172 performance
Old 24th Mar 2015, 17:04
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Step Turn
Once competent to fly, and flying in accordance with the POH, yes, expect to meet those numbers. But..... with the warning against flying in an environment in which failing to achieve that performance would increase risk.

The POH does not come with two sets of performance values, one for new pilots, and one for skygods, The information presented is factored for "average skill". New pilots are encouraged to use those values. But, like anything, when you're new at it, give yourself some extra room....

If you apply maximum power very early in the takeoff, and achieve it, in a properly configured aircraft, you would probably have to apply effort to not achieve the height at 50 feet value as presented in the charts. There's a bit of skill in it, but it's mostly just physics....

I agree with Step but would add one small caution. The POH numbers were achieved with a new properly rigged aircraft. After 20,000 hrs of TLC from students and a "that still looks OK, so we will leave it for now" maintenance regime the aircraft may not be as sprightly as it once was.....

However the point is still valid. In practice I think the missing point is just that "practice" . The main runway at my home drome is 7000 feet long. I see lots of pilots who are happy to land at some random point somewhere along the way. Takeoff's are similarly treated with the same level of casualness.

To meet the book runway length required numbers you have to fly the book speeds. If your approach is 10 kts too fast and you are 50 feet too high crossing the fence the airplane is not going to stop in the book distance.

You don't want to be "practicing" your landing on a minimum length field, you had better show up already "practiced". For landing the secret to making the book numbers is an accurate touch down point at the correct speed. The good news is you can practice that on every landing.

For the actual calculations; well to pass the exam you have to do all the extrapolating. In the real world, as was recommended, just go to the next higher set of numbers and add a fudge factor. 10 % was recommended, although I tell new pilots to start with an extra 25 % until they get a bit of experience.