PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2015, 16:53
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Posted by McBruce

Talking to a colleague last night while at altitude prior to this news becoming knowledge to ourselves about a few recent uncommanded nose downs in the Airbus, I wasn't aware of these events. To his knowledge LH had one recently (true?) which took considerable effort of the crew to disconnect the AP to regain control. I know very little of the Airbus, just know that situations like this are sadly more frequent. It's need a little red switch that disconnects all flight computers for any moment of binary madness. I find it hard to believe it was ED CFIT.
fireflybob - Statistically there were less crashes in 2014 then in the recent past, but there were more fatalities in 2014 as the result of a plane crash then at least the 3 years prior. Think it matters little how many crashes there are compared to the amount of people that pass away as a result of one, which I believe is far more important.
VJW, the point I was making by the question:-

Statistically, is this true?
was with respect to "uncommanded nose downs in the Airbus" which I believe is what the original poster was referring to when he commented "I know very little of the Airbus, just know that situations like this are sadly more frequent."

So I was not referring to overall yearly accident statistics.