PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands anyone?
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2015, 15:52
SAMXXV

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tourist; Quote:

I'm sure, incidentally, that an experienced SAM operator might have some inkling as to the capability of an SU25 to circle a 777 in the cruise at altitude?

Here is a clue.
What is the max speed of an SU25
How high can it fly?

The simple answer to the SAM operators question is "No idea & don't care because I have no time to react to my doubt"! I believe the SU 25 obtains Mach 0.82 with a ceiling of approx. 23,000 feet? So what is your point. other than trying to make me look stupid, stupid? The BUK operator (& he could have been a VERY experienced controller) locked on to the SU 25 (If indeed it was only a SU 25...). He fired & unbeknown to him his static fire control radar shifted to the greater engine rotary noise source (The Malaysian Airlines 4 Turbo jets). He would not have had a clue & even if he did, once launched, the missile was autonomous. There is no self destruct radio signal on these beasts! They guide onto the reflected signal of the ground based mother radar!

As I am some 20 years out of date with CW radar (but the radar spectrum has not & will never change - ever) perhaps somebody from the Wild Weasels or Ex-360 Sqn can educate Tourist.

How about Courtney Mil who although not being a back seater (Whoops, sorry, Weapons Operator) knows all about "A" Scope radar returns!