PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iced AoA sensors send A321 into deep dive
Old 24th Mar 2015, 10:01
captains_log

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh!!

Incredible.

Alot of people are missing the argument here, i think its in agreement the automation has saved lives and has made flying safer, its about when it goes wrong(not necessarily software but hardware), and what is in place when this occurs.

What i find utterly incredible is there hasn't been more protest from pilots who from day to day fly these machines, i've read on here for years about people believing a 'red button' or such should exist on AB to revert back to 'an airplane' or safe default AS/trim.

Would such a button potentially give the crew valuable time for 'panic fog' to clear and the ability to gain control then assess the issues thus saving pax and crew? If yes then why hasn't this been demanded? Fear of losing ones job for suggesting such a profit wasting feature?

If i had my way tomorrow, i would introduce such a switch along with training to fly in direct law (along with familiarity of manual operation of THS). An enforced training drill which must me executed x times a year along with stall recovery procedures (which has also been evidently lacking in some fatal incidents).
As someone here has pointed out it (manual overide button) is utilised in the military AB spec already, so there must be some requirement, although i have no idea in what mode/law it operates and the benefits.

I feel a button/training mentioned above would be far more beneficial than additional training and bulletins to decipher various ACARS messages etc in a panic situation in bad weather working out what needs disabling first, whilst grappling with an A/C behaving in a strange and unpredictable way. Whilst the self righteous people on the ground are tut'ing 'should of known that from your training'.

Now, why hasn't this been addressed, contested, protested with the powers that be. You have the power! I can barely fly a quadcopter and it seems obvious to me.