PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Probability of an Engine Failure in a Certified GA SEP
Old 24th Mar 2015, 09:53
Rod1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-Mag failure. Was this a dual simultaneous failure ?
- Prop disintegrating after stone damage. Was the prop damaged prior to the takeoff or did it hit a rock on the takeoff roll ?
- Bird through the canopy. How did this cause the engine to fail ?

Not all mine so details only on some;

Mag failure Robin DR400 C of A aircraft 160hp Lyk

I noticed an increase in fuel consumption 9 months before the incident. Maintenance organization checked everything NFF sent me the bill. I persisted - they sent the carb off to be checked, NFF. Real problem was poorly mag wiring which was breaking down when hot. Good Mag failed leaving me with a very unhappy engine and a lot of vibration. Landed with no damage

"Prop disintegrating after stone damage. Was the prop damaged prior to the takeoff or did it hit a rock on the takeoff roll ?"

Not mine but I understand there was a bang just as he got airborne off a short strip. All normal for about 20 sec then the prop tip came off. Damage from stone obvious on later inspection. Pilot had to shut off all power due to huge vibration. Landed without incident.

"Bird through the canopy. How did this cause the engine to fail ? "

No further info. Aircraft overturned in soft ground but at relatively slow speed. (again not one of mine).

This is from a group of experienced pilot owners which may be relevant?

Rod1

Last edited by Rod1; 24th Mar 2015 at 12:26.