PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iced AoA sensors send A321 into deep dive
Old 24th Mar 2015, 09:18
vapilot2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Y ou are confirming a second one of my long standing criticisms. Lack of training and putting inadequate candidates into modern cockpits.
While i understand that the huge need for adequate airline jockeys is almost impossible to satisfy, the trend to want to mitigate this with automatics and protections is to the least dubious. What i mean is that the recent accidents show a trend that this might not work to the extent that the big manufacturers and the regulators intended. Airline management will always hide behind the latter by pretending to do the minimum required and cynically accept the losses. It is therefore up to us professionals to raise the issue and ask for fast and more adequate remedies.
I agree GFrange with you on the problem of the lack of properly trained pilots entering the cadre and would add - without need as your comment here is mostly non-partisan - that this is a problem across all types.

If only pilot unions were less focused on pay scales, time limits, and liability fights, not to mention membership numbers, and instead, more focused on protecting and advancing our group as a whole...

This begs the question and opens up an altruistic opportunity for a new group in this new millennium to emerge - an international union of pilots with a shared central purpose: the perpetuation and preservation of classic pilotage skills and the safety of air transport travel in the face of tight airline budgets, newfangled and skill-sucking gadgetry, and too little/too late/too over-encompassing regulation that is often steamrollered into the docket before those with the most to lose and benefit can have their earned and learned say.