PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iced AoA sensors send A321 into deep dive
Old 24th Mar 2015, 09:06
Gretchenfrage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mockingjay

Stop pointing at other manufacturers, it's puerile and does not make the Airbus flaw go away! They have to fix it physically and not through print-band-aids.

By that let me point out a decisive difference between your mentioned Asiana/Boeing accident:
It makes a huge difference if an incident originates with a wrong choice of perfectly normal modes and legal techniques that was not picked up by an absent additional protection, or if it originates by a malfunctioning protection itself that was not induced by the pilot.
The first can and should be avoided by pilots and training is to blame, thus in the responsibility of the airline and regulator. The second is induced by design and the manufacturer is to blame, thus in his responsibility (and the regulators').

We end up at my basic criticism: CHANGE SOMETHING. Do not simply write additional procedures shoving down additional workload to pilots at awkward moments and by that absolve yourself of responsibility. That is despicable.

As to vapilot's statement:

You are confirming a second one of my long standing criticisms. Lack of training and putting inadequate candidates into modern cockpits.
While i understand that the huge need for adequate airline jockeys is almost impossible to satisfy, the trend to want to mitigate this with automatics and protections is to the least dubious. What i mean is that the recent accidents show a trend that this might not work to the extent that the big manufacturers and the regulators intended. Airline management will always hide behind the latter by pretending to do the minimum required and cynically accept the losses. It is therefore up to us professionals to raise the issue and ask for fast and more adequate remedies.

Defending one manufacturer in stating that the other has similar flaws is so beneath any decent professional conscience that it hurts. The pressure has to rise to an unbearable level for the regulator to force him to act. Neither airline management nor manufacturers will move a tad if not forced.

This thread is about Airbus, so forget Boeing for a moment and join us in applying pressure, for the sake of safety.

(You are free to the Boeing flaw thread, i am already there .....)