PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iced AoA sensors send A321 into deep dive
Old 24th Mar 2015, 08:30
vapilot2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for that unsolicited praise G! Very kind of you, but I'm not 100% sure I am worthy of it...

First, that AB is very aware of the need of such a feature in time critical circumstances.
While I agree with you, we should understand for it to work training would be key. The Airbus philosophy invites those that may have never even seen a stick and rudder aeroplane nor those who came up through the ranks as a Cessna/Piper trainee. (As well as those folks with whom English is not their native language). According to some unofficial stats, between 1/4 and 1/3 of Airbus-rated pilots come directly into the sidestick programme with no prior commercial flying experience and very little basic flight time. The ingenuity of the Airbus philosophy is what makes these groups viable as transport category pilots - at least until things digital go wobbly.

In order for our button to work, basic stick and rudder skills, or at the very least, a solid to-their-bones understanding of power and pitch would need to be second nature.

Second, that human lives seem cynically less important than military material when it comes to engineers pride or commercial impact.
You may be right GFrange, but as others above and myself have offered, it is a matter of the airplane coming second to the survival of the crew, their fellow fliers in formation, and the success of the mission with the ultimate control over the mission and the aircraft, no matter the weather, situation, or aircraft condition, belonging to the pilot in command.