PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iced AoA sensors send A321 into deep dive
Old 24th Mar 2015, 04:00
vapilot2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An Off Switch - Coming to an Airbus cockpit near you?

all airliners should have a big yellow guarded switch that when turned on immediately turns them back into an aircraft.
The military version of the A330 has one, as do all Airbus-manufactured military fixed-wing aircraft - I believe principally for emergency/breakaway operations during re-fueling on the tankers which was a key part of the RFP process for the American tanker programme that Airbus bid on.

I should preface the rest of my reply with the following: I had completed the A320 type rating years ago (have yet to use it, but wouldn't say no if asked - money is money!) and find the design to be overall an elegant and brilliant solution to common problems and operational challenges most pilots face every day - the thing is a real dream to fly! Now the other side of that...

I believe eventually Airbus will need to add such a switch to its civilian aircraft as a simple and quick way of bypassing any and all computers that have voting power over critical pilot inputs. How long they wait will depend on 1.) how many more "incidents" such as this one (or the prior half dozen or so A330 flight control software anomalies) we are forced to suffer in the coming years, particularly serious types as on the A330 and 2.) the level of hubris that exists at Airbus HQ in Toulouse. This is not an A v B thing - Boeing shares a bit of "manufacturer's pride" as well.

We have been told time and again by "the usual suspects" here on PPrune that the digital side - the critical flight control and protections programming was structured to be so very perfect that this sort of thing was "impossible". I was always highly skeptical of those claims.

Three adages come to mind, one - man is fallible, therefore anything designed and built by man is bound to be imperfect, and two, Mr. Murphy has a way of showing up when you least want him around, and three, regarding computer systems, GIGO.

Last edited by vapilot2004; 24th Mar 2015 at 04:20. Reason: these to those makes for better prose