PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iced AoA sensors send A321 into deep dive
Old 23rd Mar 2015, 21:02
mockingjay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I'm not sure that's a good idea at all. Protections are there to protect and at critical phases of the flight is where they have probably saved more accidents then they will avoid.

Consider S7, Aeroflot, WOW Air, Air Canada, SAS, FINNAIR and many US airlines operate in some pretty severe weather, the A320 family and have done for years without incident then the chances of two AOA sensors freezing at above the stall attitude at the same time must be tiny.
And if it were to happen there is a simple fix. Although technically the plane would be taking off in normal law and therefore the protections kick in at a speed around A-Prot and not the stall AOA - as there is no such thing in normal law.

Taking away high speed protection, low speed protections, alpha lock etc. etc. will cause a lot more problems then it will save. Remember in alternate law it is possible to stall A320s. Getting into a stall situation is a lot more likely than getting two AOA sensors frozen above A-Prot.

This would concern me greatly. I worry about some parts of the world flying Boeings due to stalling on a go around which has caused disasters and closer to home Icelandair very nearly had a 757 flight end in tears in Oslo which would likely not have happened had it been an Airbus. If we take away these protections from the Airbus then we could see more mishandled go arounds.

Last edited by mockingjay; 23rd Mar 2015 at 21:25.