PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scenic Flights NPRM
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2015, 14:47
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Folks,
I just love the idea that shelfware has much to do with aviation safety.

When I cast my mind back to my first "Charter License", it was somewhat more simple than CASA is now proposing for joyrides. All single engine, daylight VFR --- IFR was a real rarity in those days, as were twin engine aircraft.

It took me about two days to assemble the 20 odd page manual, which was accepted by DCA without amendment -- in fact they were really only interested in P1, all the names and addresses and the nominated Chief Pilot, the only formal position, and P2, a statement that all operations would be conducted in conformity with the Act, ANRs and ANOs, signed by the Chief Pilot.

No inspections, interviews, proving flights and all that rubbish.

In Australia, there has been no improvement in airsafety outcomes, over the years, to match the increasingly expensive and complex CASA requirements, indeed, in the last several years, GA safety outcomes have gone backwards.

CASA requirements as detailed by Ding Duck are a pretty good exposition on what is wrong with aviation regulation in Australia, a sledgehammer to crack a nut. A light aircraft operation is not an airline, FCS.

Folks, have a look at the FAA requirements for joyflights!! Their accident rate is about half the Australian equivalent.

Tootle pip!!