PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 4
Thread: Jet2 4
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2015, 09:40
111KAB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATNotts - if you feel this is a rather silly piece of legislation may I ask what measures you have taken to have it defeated/amended?

I repeat a post from another thread ...

What I fail to understand after reading various posts on this and other forums is that if people feel so strongly that the law is an ass why do they do little or nothing about it?

When the CAA/NEB produced their list of what were deemed to be extraordinary circumstances when compensation payment should not be paid I understand the EU received representation regarding issuing the list (not confirmed whether these representations were for or against but I believe the vast majority were against) from 22 parties with private individuals being the major contributors. Ask the airline you work for if they contacted the EU in support of this list …. I bet the answer is no.

In talking to my local MEP (who did sit on the EU Transportation Committee) he confirmed that I was the only person who had ever contacted him regarding 261/2004. How many of you (whether in agreement or not) have contacted your MP, your MEP, the UK representatives on the EU Transportation Committee, The EU itself or indeed the EU Ombudsman (who happens to be a lady!) ?

Any representation (which I can assure you is very limited) the airlines make is generally through the CAA however our NEB is, in effect, funded by the airline industry so you can understand why the EU have some difficulty with this.

There is an election coming up in the UK soon…. Some of you might vote, others not however there is no point in complaining about how the country is run if you don’t vote. Likewise there is no point in arguing with the odd poster on this or other forums if you believe that 261/2004 is flawed, you would be better spending your time taking the matter up with the people who matter.

Scratchingthesky - Jet2's own figures (basically hidden in their Year End report) indicate an additional 50p per passenger per flight. I believe an extra £4 per family per holiday is not a lot to pay for 'insurance' if your flight is delayed by over 3 hours. EU estimated figures actually are actually slightly higher than this but they refer to everyone on a delayed flight claiming.