PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomas Cook TCX1639 Low fuel divert 20/3/15
Old 23rd Mar 2015, 07:57
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Then who should pay? Reasonableness suggests that each of us owes a duty of care to others. So before we do anything we should make sure we are fit to do so and that activity won't adversely third parties. If we believe it will must we take appropriate action beforehand. Obviously some people will have unexpected medical problems every now and again; these sorts of things happen. But I don't think it fair that someone who has a pre-existing medical condition decides to fly and as a result costs an airline tens of thousands but worse of all, inconveniences hundreds of others. Reasonableness suggests that person should see a medical practitioner beforehand to determine their fitness to fly. Then that will place them above everybody else who has not, healthy or otherwise.

What I don't want to hear again is "He's had another one of his funny turns again. The last time we flew this happened as well." I also don't want to fly people who's doctor says they should not fly; I've had a few of those as well. I also don't want to fly people whose doctor will say they mustn't fly, so the don't bother asking.

Additionally an aircraft is not the place to have a medical problem. Over Europe you are rarely more than 20-30 minutes away from a paramedic but on trans-oceanic and same trans-continental routes you might be hours away from help. And all that time will be spent with a cabin altitude of 8,000 feet or so. Hardly conducive to a healthy outcome.

Musket90 - Airlines are not healthcare providers. We are not funded like the NHS. Our passengers pay for themselves and also a small surcharge for those who need wheelchair assistance and other items of personal support - which is reasonable. But if you need a med-evac flight you must hire an appropriate aircraft and crew - not use a scheduled airline.

Last edited by Piltdown Man; 23rd Mar 2015 at 15:27. Reason: Failure to make my point in last sentence of Para 2.