PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying with Expired Nav Database
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2015, 04:49
CommsBiff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying with Expired Nav Database

We are unable to update our C-130 FMS Nav Database after several attempts and plenty of issues with our equipment supplier / engineering authority. The database currently installed expired on 5 Mar 15 (18 days ago). This has not caused us a problem operating within our country. However, we now require to fly through the airspace of a dozen countries or so on a routine route.

It has been suggested that we can still use the FMS if we mitigate potential issues.

1. Program the route as normal, but check the Lat & Long of EVERY waypoint against current data (Jet Plan, Paper Charts).
2. Refrain from accepting RNAV SIDS/STARS.
3. For re-routes, again program as normal, immediately check against current data (Jepp Mobile FD / standalone EFB).

I can see the above is a sensible approach, and similar to what you'd have to do if operating with a basic, non-FMS, GPS system. I still have doubts as to it's legality and have been unable to find any source information from my online searches.

I have been informed that some small international operators update their Nav Databases every three cycles - is that true?

What I am really looking for is a pointer to some clear info from a relevant source (FAA, CAA, etc), but also happy to enter into productive discussion on the subject.