PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight control check a320
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2015, 03:18
No Fly Zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hm! Perhaps Merits for Both?

Pre-T.O. flight control checks are not unique to Ab/B types; any responsible pilot will examine the full range of control surface motion before TO, to 'feel' for unusual resistance (although the tactile feedback may not be available on all airplanes). In addition to flight deck 'feel,' some operating environments provide a ground observer who can see control surfaces that cannot be seen from the driver's seats. That case argues for the in-order sequence, such that the observer knows what to look for.
I'm not clear about why an operator would want them done in random order, but I'm sure someone will clarify for me.
That pre-departure control checks MUST be done is evidenced by countless losses of otherwise healthy airplanes, large and small, that attempted TO with their physical gust-lock restraints still in place. Clearly, they are preventable accidents. When one reaches Vr with an elevator lock still in place, the options are few and, in some cases of limited value. (Hollering, "Oh ," wont' stop the airplane, nor make it fly properly.)
I guess I'd also add that if the aircraft is CVR equipped, having a reliable record that the control surface checks WERE accomplished with satisfactory results, may help to eliminate some of the "Pilot Error" reports that would be more accurately labeled as "Unknown."
Very much like aircraft maintenance procedures (and countless medical procedures,) if the complete, step-by-step routine is not documented (in this case recorded on the CVR), we correctly assume that It Was Not Done. If you do (whatever procedure is required), record or document it as appropriate for the task. As much a we may dislike having to fly by too many rules that seem to override the individual pilot's in-air rights, that is our world. If you perform a given, you'd better have some way to prove it. At the end of the day, boys and girls, if we expect to keep our certificates and job until mandatory retirement.