PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - At one with the plane and the four stages...
Old 22nd Mar 2015, 19:12
pulse1

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Before the introduction of computers, I used to help out the CAACU as a flight observer on their Doves. Before the days of the computer these were used to train ATC students at the College at Hurn.

One day I had to fly with a rather ancient pilot who initially had problems starting one engine until he discovered that he had forgotten to switch on the mags. However, once we got airborne it was an absolute pleasure just sitting there while he flew the aeroplane in such a relaxed fashion. Normally I would be champing at the bit to be allowed to fly it myself, and some pilots were happy to let me, but in this case I didn't want to.

One exercise involved doing continuous tight turns directly over the radar head while calling the student for a service. I normally didn't like doing these turns but, in this case, the turns were so balanced it was very comfortable and impressive. I do not think I have ever flown with another pilot whose handling was as noticeably good as that. I understood that he was a long retired BOAC pilot.