PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND 5
Thread: SOUTHEND 5
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2015, 18:05
southender

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Propliner Aviation Magaine

Although there is a thread on this subject in the History and Nostalgia Forum, I hope the Mods will allow this little nostalgia here.

Propliner Aviation Magazine, which was founded by Stephen Piercey and subsequently edited by Tony Merton Jones after Stephen's tragic death has ceased publication after some 30 odd years and 141 quarterly editions.

Covering the current and historic world-wide operation of classic propliners, the magazine rarely had an edition in which Southend did not feature. All it's major operators, Aviation Traders, Air Charter, BKS, Channel Airways,
BAF etc, together with other lesser operator such as Macedonian and Janes were all featured in some depth at various times.

There was also comprehensive coverage of most of the major British propliners such as the Viking, Viscount, Vanguard, Britannia, Bristol Freighter, Ambassador and HS748 and it is interesting to note just how many of these actually visited Southend. For example Britannias of such diverse operators as Canadian Pacific, El Al and Cubana all passed through Aviation Traders on maintenance.

As an aviation historian with an overriding passion for Southend Airport, I have suddenly lost a major source of material covering SENs illustrious past, but even in the final issue there is an article covering the operation of Transair, Swedens Curtiss C46 Commandos which frequently visited Southend in the late 1950s and early 60s.

I would only hope that Southend's illustrious future, and I'm sure it will be, is going to be recorded in a similar way to its past.

Cheers