PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomas Cook TCX1639 Low fuel divert 20/3/15
Old 22nd Mar 2015, 16:59
Motorizer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your observations....

I am in the 'is the risk worth it' camp although I must admit to not knowing what the operating costs of carrying additional fuel to allow for a 20/30 min hold at destination would be if this fuel is not required once you arrive.

I can certainly understand B737900er's comments with regards hoping for no delay

To carry said fuel, presumably you then have to upload yet more to carry this contingency fuel in case you needed it.

I would be interested to know the addtional cost of carrying an extra 20 minutes fuel over a 5 hour flight.

I guess TC gor unlucky that night as 2 aircraft were diverted and my taxi to gatwick was £150-00 just for me and the better half, although we did find another couple who we offered a ride back. I think the bean counters may have their work cut out for these two flights!!

As an aside, I am absolutley not questioning the crew or captain who I believe acted in the correct manner and who certainly kept everyone infomed of what was happening although i did feel the mention of uploading 10 tonnes of fuel and being pushed back within 10 mins was a bit hopeful!!

Your comments have certainly helped understand how this happened so appreciate that ... One assumes that people a lot more clever than I work out the odds and it plays within their favour but is still , none the less, quite worrying when you think about the margins these operators are working on.