PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iced AoA sensors send A321 into deep dive
Old 22nd Mar 2015, 09:48
tlbrown350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This flight crew had this happen to them when no OB or relevant procedure had been published yet, and yet in only 4,000' they managed to come up with a solution? It's been many years since I last flew a 321, but as I recall there were 7 flight control computers with relevant pushbuttons on the overhead panel, in addition to the ADIRU switches and pushbuttons.
All of a sudden, approaching TOC their airliner pitches down: they are unable to arrest the descent despite pulling all the way back on the sidesticks, and yet they manage to keep sufficiently calm and collected to think laterally and identify and push the correct PBs for the "offending" ADRs (or flight control computers, personally I would have guessed the FACs), all in 4,000'?

Perhaps the Captain had marked previous instances of A-prot activating inappropriately (ie Bilbao IB A320 in 2001) and had kept that little nugget of information in his back pocket for a rainy day... in any case these pilots deserve two statues erected in their honour, one in Toulouse and one in Finkenwerder.

Yes. Well said.