PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iced AoA sensors send A321 into deep dive
Old 22nd Mar 2015, 01:52
rottenray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe it is a problem for the industry and not one manufacturer as a whole. My ramblings may appear anti Boeing but I am not. I just tire of the anti Airbus (mostly Americans) rhetoric who go into a frenzy much like feeding Pirahanas whenever there's a chance to have a go. I am just trying to put things into perspective and bring a little balance to the discussion.

Your post was cogent and spot on until the part of your statement that I bolded above.

Characterizing opinions as pirahanic is quite unnecessary. There are far more defenders of everything Airbus on this site than there are Boeing fanboys. Other sites are far more balanced in this respect.

Both manufacturers produce absolutely wonderful aircraft. Boeing is perhaps a little less sophisticated, and some crews get into trouble because of that. Asiana @ SFO and Turkish @AMS come to mind. Airbus automation has saved countless lives by eliminating the opportunity for some mistakes to become fatal traps.

Both companies need to work harder to eliminate the chance for "minor" lapses becoming major issues. Boeing's autothrust needs work, Airbus needs to work on what AP does with bad data and how the aircraft is handed back to humans when automation runs out of good data to work with.

Picking out and finding flaw with either philosophy does nothing to solve problems, but it does give us a lot to talk about here.

Cheers!