PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 21st Mar 2015, 19:19
in freedom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roster

Guys, if you even think about rostering as an important aspect of your life then stay as far away from EK as you can.
You will fly max hours on any fleet now with no credit for simulator, ground training etc. I flew more than a 110h in 28 days in 2014 - if you count the two 8 hour dead heads to Africa in the midlle of the night to pick up a freighter there.
If you have leave you will still fly max hours. Done 80h in 2 weeks regularly in leave months.
Been to Oz and back and then to SFO in a week. Been to Dallas and back and then to Tokyo in a week.
And the reality is that if you bid for 5 days off in your top bid month they will book you a 2h manual handling sim in the middle. So again you can not leave Dubai.
3 days off between back of the clock ULRs is barely enough to rest and get the bare necessities done. Unless your wife does them for you. Of course somebody else will have to do your wife for you. You might be too tired or not there at all.
Read the forum.
For those who are stuck in EK it is only going to get worse. And here is the crux. Once you are there it is quite hard to leave. Kids in school. Bond to repay. And no useful days off or vacation granted to attend an assessment somewhere else. Recently an increasing number of guys are leaving EK without a job because of that. I did.
Stay well clear of EK until the company has had to park airplanes, fired AAR and started all over again by treating people in a humane way. That could be a while. Until then any pilot in EK who can not leave has my deepest sympathy.
Don't volunteer to join them.