PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Propliner Magazine
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2015, 17:11
southender

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh dear! I also had the same note with my magazine. Propliner is (or now was) the only journal I take these days and now have no idea where I can keep up to date with the activities of the world's last true airliners

I guess there aren't enough of us old boys round any more to make this kind of magazine still viable.

My interest in propeller driven airliners dates back to 1953 when I went to stay with an old aunt who lived in Hillingdon, right under the final approach to Northolt's runway. The Vikings and Dakotas of BEA, Bristol Freighters of Aer Lingus and C54s and C47s of the US military were the staple diet, and the aircraft were so low that their fleet names could be easily read.
My favourite was BEA's Viking Sir Cloudesley Shovell (and to this day have no idea who he was).

To get back to Propliner, I have editions 22 through to 141 and will have to make do with re-reading these time and again, although I would love to get my hands on the earlier Steven Piercey edited magaines.

I only hope that Tony Merton Jones' vast knowledge of the British commercial aviation scene in the golden age will not be lost to us and that he will continue to publish in some form.

Cheers