PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Witnessing a crash
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2015, 14:47
Vilters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The crashes before my eyes.

Kiewit-Hasselt-Belgium.

Pits coming in inverted level flight at about 100ft, pushed up into an inverted looping. There was a slight hesitation on top of the loop, then he pushed to continue the inverted loop and smashed into the ground 100 meters in front of me. Pilot died.

Beauvechain Air Force Base Belgium

SF-260 lost engine power at about 250 ft. Tried a 180° and spun in. Instructor and student died.

F-16 landing with a tailwind. Lost control on roll-out and ended up next to the runway. Pilot walked away unhurt.

Leopodsburg Belgium

Mirage5 climbed into the vertical after a high speed low pass. Came down out of the sun in a spin. We saw the canopy departing, but the seat did not have the time to go. The A/C smashes into the ground behind some trees. Pilot died.

Moulins France (RSA fly-in)

A Mini P-47 (Continental 100) lost control due to engine torque on take off.
Left the runway to the left and tore itself into a parked RF4 motorised glider. Pilot slightly hurt his head bouncing against the canopy frame.

SF-260 lost control during a touch and go due to engine torque. Left the runway to the left and flipped upside down. Both pilot escaped unhurt.

Kiewit -Hasselt

ULM landing, simply flipped upside down after a bounce when he landed nosewheel first. Pilot unhurt hanging in his straps.

That's some 20 years of military and PPL flying in a nutshell.

My personals?
Had an engine failure in a D-120 due to suspected carb icing at 7500 ft. Engine restarted succesfully at 2000 ft.

And had to shut down an engine on a C-150 while in the circuit; Oil press dropped to 0. (Oil pump gear failure)

Had an oil line rupture in a twin engine BAF Merlin at FL 200. Pilot landed single engine in Yeovilton-UK. (I was a passenger on this one)