PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iced AoA sensors send A321 into deep dive
Old 21st Mar 2015, 13:20
INeedTheFull90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are. But there's many examples of a lack of automation leading to slatial disorientation or a loss of control along the likes of Adam Air or the China Airlines 747 who took a Der Stuka dive off California.

Also. Let's take the Birgenair 757 incident which was similar in that the sensors were blocked and they had unreliable airspeed/air data. I appreciate my synopsis is a very brief summary of a long chain of events.

This was a fairly low altitude incident and there were no high altitude aerodynamic issues facing the crew and plane like AF447. The difference was the A330 autopilot tipped out very early on, the 757 autopilot continued flying on spurious data despite the CPT and FO ASI having over a 100kt difference in airspeed.

The autopilot sensed high speed (and I assume the high speed protections) raised the nose, reduced power, stall induced and the pitch was nose high, the left engine flamed out and the right hand engine at full power flipped the aircraft over.

Both aircraft had similar causal factors. Both had functioning PFDs and engines. Pitch and power with a timely execution of the respective Unreliable Airspeed QRH checks would possibly have prevented a disaster. However I say that in the luxury of my own home and realise that hindsight it wonderful.

It could be argued that automation played a factor in both incidents but it cannot be argued that one manufacturer is better than another. There are no statistics whatsoever to prove one safer over the other.

I believe it is a problem for the industry and not one manufacturer as a whole. My ramblings may appear anti Boeing but I am not. I just tire of the anti Airbus (mostly Americans) rhetoric who go into a frenzy much like feeding Pirahanas whenever there's a chance to have a go. I am just trying to put things into perspective and bring a little balance to the discussion.

The Perpignan incident was the first accident of it's type. I'm quite certain that all airliners have latent faults just waiting for a unique set of circumstances to prevail which will cause another hull loss.