PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career Change - Who's done it?
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2015, 06:16
AlwaysAviating

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Career Change - Who's done it?

I'm currently an undergraduate studying at a good UK university in a non-science related degree with a good internship lined up for next year, I'm set to graduate in 2017, I will have just turned 22 at this point.

My plan is to complete my degree and get some flying under my belt privately, also take a class in the Aerospace Engineering department at my university in my final year if possible, hopefully in ground and flight training and try and apply for some PPL scholarships too. After graduation, I hope to find a decent job related to my degree (it has a broad range of options so I'm hoping there will be a few options out there for me).

In an ideal world, I intend to save some cash from a job and apply for any sponsored programmes if there are any around the 2017/2018 time. Obviously with these being so competitive, it may not be so likely.

There may become a time in my life when I decide enough is enough and just decide to fund my whole CPL/fATPL training and then try my best at direct-entry. But the tricky thing is, deciding when that time is "right". At what age should I seriously be thinking about pursuing my commercial training? I'd love to hear stories from others who had a career change and made it onto the flight deck!