PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can a UK Flight Instructor teach in the USA?
Old 21st Mar 2015, 05:26
skyhighfallguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
assablief:

the short answer is NO, you can't.

So glad to see people mention ground reference maneuvers req'd for the commercial pilot lic (actually certificate)

don't forget a steep spiral to a landing, power off.

I once took a british flight instructor up to check him out in a tomahawk. This was many years ago before EASA or anything like that. He claimed he had quite a bit of tomahawk time.

He really just wanted to look around northern california (san francisco), I still remember the way he flew was more like he was taking a Spitfire off from the fields of eaton.

He kept on revving up and revving down the engine, as we taxied into position. I don't know how to describe it except like a guy in a car at a stoplight revving his engine to challenge someone to a race.

I asked him why he did that, and why he gave up so much runway turning on to the short runway without a 90 degree turn.

I ended up not checking him out (signing him off to rent the plane by himself) .

There seems to be a different level of things between our two countries. Years later I learned that you fellows over there don't need a commercial license to teach in addition to a flight instructor ticket.