PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing at Norwich and ATC Norwich CTR
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2015, 21:19
Cusco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignore the preceding comment: this is PPRuNe after all.

For GA nowadays your requirements are dealt with by Saxonair and you will taxy to the western apron (not to the passenger terminal any more).

There you will be right royally ripped off for landing fees and 'handling', but I'm told the coffee is nice.....

But it's the only way now.

Give Saxonair a ring before you go so you have some idea of how much you will be forking out.

Don't even think about any practice instrument approaches while you are there.

BTW Speak to Lakenheath Radar (128.90 ) rather than Marham before you talk to Norwich:There has been a lot of fast tin recently and four A10s visiting LKH for fun and games on the Holbeach ranges. LKH will also tell you if D208 (which is pretty close to your track) is hot.They will give you a basic service and if it's easier for your track ask for a MATZ penetration: you only have to remain clear of the ATZ.

A lot of nonsense is spoken about the Americans' R/T : it is perfectly comprehensible and anything you don't understand, they will gladly repeat if you ask them: Don't be shy: I visited Lakenheath Radar and Tower last month and they really are nice people: they can get busy about 11.30 when they are recovering up to 16 F15Es but they have extra folk on at that time and you wouldn't notice the difference.

15 miles out talk to Norwich approach (119.35 quoting ATIS letter code and QNH) with your requirements.

(freecall Norwich : you won't get a handover from Lakenheath or even from Marham for that matter), You'll get from Lakenheath : 'G-XXXX you're leaving my zone, radar service terminated, squawk 7000, frequency change approved, have a good day y'all'

Basic service from Norwich will suffice which in my experience they will convert to a radar control service once in their zone.

Circuits for the prevailing runway (27) are to the south over the city: you'll get a good view of the Cathedral and Carrow
Road!You may be asked to extend downwind for spacing: if you seem to be getting close to Gt Yarmouth, just remind them you're there.....

Enjoy your visit: the guys/gals in Norwich ATC are second to none and there's not much CAT to get in your way.

Cusco

Last edited by Cusco; 20th Mar 2015 at 21:56.