PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter accidents
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2015, 20:17
Pittsextra

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Pozi - to answer your question honestly I don't know the full process of who talks to whom and when, but I'm sure someone on here would know.

However I used the accidents for those two sling load reports just as a convenient/ lazy way to demonstrate the need for timely AAIB reporting.

It was clear that the accident from G-ORKY just 8 days before made no impact on the pilot of the other machine (G-BXGA) in the same company, let alone the wider industry. One could i suppose fairly argue that he may not have felt anything needed changing with the huge experience the pilots had and so the specifics of these two accidents may have no lessons what-so-ever (and of course no one would expect a report inside two weeks). The point I was trying to make was that it is important that AAIB reports are timely because very often these are the only ways others can see the detail and its a cheap way to learn.

Actually with more time on my hands I looked at the AAIB reports for helicopters in GA all the way back to year 2000. 248 reports from 2000-date.

In the context of that the biggest accident group are students (66 total) and the bigger sub set of that are students with an instructor on board (39!). And with an eye to the instructor thread thats running of the 39 that shunted with an instructor aboard 26 had more than 1000hrs, 20 more than 2000hrs...

Then by far the next bigger group are those mis-handling events (61 reports) at low speed on the airfield (uncontrolled yaw, tail strikes, dynamic roll over, start-ups with the lever raised, hover taxi wobbles i.e. its a lazy catch all for all ball dropping at the airfield).

If you break that lot out then the biggest factor is flying a Robinson (35) which is ahead of currency, where 30 pilots had less than 200hrs TT, 20 pilots had less than 3 hours in the last 30 days.

Next biggest category is mechanical failure (43).

Without wishing to bash up robbos, they do feature alot and ironically of its a factor that could help to explain the improved GA accident rate since 2010, i.e. less robbo's. 126 reports of the 248 featured a Robinson.

There were 23 fatal GA helicopter events since 2000, 13 inadvertant IMC or weather related.

If you strip out the student/instructor and mechanical reports then of those doing it for themselves 48 had < 200hrs, 38 had >1000hrs of which 9 >10k hours. Interestingly the fatalities are clustered in the three bands, 6 circa 100hrs and less. Another 6 from 200-500hrs and 5 with experienced guys all IMC/CFIT.