PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Increase in Weight demands an increase in Power
Old 20th Mar 2015, 15:46
ChickenHouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a tid surprised. Even aircraft have to obey the basic principles of physics, or?

We all learned during our very first lessons on the physics of flying about the different forces enabling flight. One of the most prominent force pairs is a recall from school physics, called "Weight&Lift" and governed by gravitational forces down. Some may remember that an almost ancient guy with a second good application for an apple, Newton, came up with the grandiose idea, that Force equals mass times acceleration (the best idea for an apple use came from a snake, just to be complete and indeed ignoring Steve Jobs).

A Plane needs to overcome gravity to fly, or (hard to imagine different)?, where the acceleration is equal to earth gravitational acceleration. Even our little planes do not get their force from The Force, but simple from the power drawn from the engine. So, to keep a plane up in the sky when it gathered weight, it has to use more force = power, or am I oversimplifying? (Of course I am talking status within flying envelope)