PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Witnessing a crash
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2015, 01:29
skyhighfallguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7000' is longer than chicago midway (KMDW) orange county santa ana(KSNA), Washington National (KDCA) and many other runways used by jet airliners in the USA. And when you add in low altitude maneuvering required at some airports, I would love to have 7000'.

Kenparry is quite right in saying the 1000' fixed distance marker is a good point for touchdown as he describes and is APPROXIMATELY where the ILS Glideslope intercepts the runway. Pace, I don't know where you get your ideas.

1500' is usually used for widebody aircraft or other larger/longer types. This has to do with eye height and landing gear position.

I've never even heard of Luton, but the picture looks quite nice with all that pretty grass. Runway number seems on the small side.

ON THE NUMBERS can mean putting the wheels right where 19L is. But only rarely would an airliner intentionally put it ON THE NUMBERS.

PACE mentions inertia. Well, there is quite a bit of inertia, but the brakes (wheel brakes) on an airliner are quite strong compared to those of a C152.

PACE, you also ask where KENPARRY got that 1000' 1500' bit, well , since you are british, why not read "Handling the Big Jets' by DP Davies and explains just what KENPARRY has been talking about. And DP is british.