PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Museum at Hendon..
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2015, 21:44
Tiger_mate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tiger Mate, are you suggesting Scampton because the Dog is buried there?
Not so much the dog but clearly that is a factor re RAF history. More to the fact that I have seen (eyes on) the ambitions that the RAFM has for Cosford which were written in the expectation of DSAE moving south and vacating the airfield in toto. That has not happened, and I am not sure it will. For sure the real estate at Hendon is priceless, though in fairness I do not know if any buildings are Listed, nor am I aware of any covenents on the site. I do know that there is a lot of infighting within the RAFM dispersed sites and given Lincolns proximity to the central line of England, a single, substantial site that is compatable with the RAFM aspirations to colocate the collection with a GA compatable airfield that itself will permit the likes of C17 deliveries to take place would be a positive step forward. Scotland has East Fortune which ideally would enjoy a better relationship with the RAF Disposals folk than anybody presently does.

The RAFM are effectively contracted by the RAF to display each type of aircraft in RAF Service, yet the disposals authority make it very difficult for this mutual aspiration to suceed. There is presently no room for expansion on the Cosford site or realistically Hendon. Nimrod, C130, and VC10 are likely to remain outside with the Dominie and Neptune. They cannot stay outside forever if preservation is to succeed.

In three years we have RAF Centenary. Everybody in service takes their environment for granted and most wish that a few more photographs had been taken along the way when issued with the Std Rose tinted specs. The RAF deserve a focal point for education and historic archives and IMHO, this is better served at one central location with room to grow than anything presently in place. Scampton, if cared for, could also host a Midlands Air Show that would be self-sustaining and benefit the RAFM as well as Service Charities.