PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it really worth being a helicopter pilot now?
Old 19th Mar 2015, 10:31
Dennis Kenyon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotary flying

As the original thread is gently running out of steam ... I'd like to close with my pennorth, and add a few personal words of encouragement and actuality for industry newcomers.

Helicopter aviation isn't all bad ... (in fact for 95% of the time it is unbelievably good) and, as already mentioned here, to any young guy or gal who cannot resist 'looking up' when there's an aircraft passing overhead ... I'd say "do whatever becomes necessary to earn your living in the air." Being an ex-Royal Air Force fast jet man. Meteor, Vampire, Hunter, Canberra, Valiant and even Avro's trusty old Lincoln ... I joined civilian aviation in 1970 where to date, I've managed around 75 fixed wing types and 33 helicopters. (and for TC, quite a few with a useless second engine!) Coat at the ready!

Over a 45-year period. I flew helicopter sales demonstration, Air taxi, crop spraying, aerial photography and feature film work, police work, power and pipeline inspection AND best of all: flying training as an FI and examiner and as a display pilot. Through those years, I managed some 3,500 hours in fixed wing plus another 14,500 hours rotary. On the debit side, and as many will know, I sadly experienced an horrendous family loss.

As a COF*, and as many Pruners will know, 2015 will see me past my 83rd birthday. But just five months ago, I was invited to display an MD530F at an air show in South Africa. There, I was surrounded by the nicest and most dedicated bunch of aviation people it has been my pleasure to meet. Having flown three or four display sorties a day ... at the end of the week before my BA flight home, I sat down in my hotel room and wrote the following in my diary. "I think this week has been the most enjoyable ... the most satisfying and the most rewarding, (not financial) of my flying career."

Five months later, I haven't changed a word. That sort of experience is worth diamonds.

On this forum, newcomers will find an unparalleled cross-section of aviation experience. rotary and fixed wing. (Someone should produce the total flying hours ... double figure millions perhaps) I've so enjoyed taking on board their personal and often contentious views. It seems to me we have a great industry, chock full of knowledgeable, highly experienced and mostly charismatic helicopter pilots you'll be proud to enter. Yes, it IS a difficult club to join and not always properly rewarded, but I've lost count of the number of youngsters who've approached me in the past for career guidance ... and who are now whisking about, 2000 feet above me in the latest S-76s and AW-139s. And has been said elsewhere ... my flying gloves have to be hung up at some time. Another vacancy along with the other COFs. Good luck to all you guys. (M & F) Jump in, the water's fine. Dennis K.

* Crusty Old Fart.