PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2015, 10:19
Uplinker

Received 115 Likes on 71 Posts
Having flown a number of different piston, turbo props and jets in my time, I am a big fan of the Airbus FBW philosophy. It does not react as a conventional aircraft does, but I have personally adapted, and have no problems with that - I prefer it actually.

However, I think that where Airbus FBW IS deficient is that the side sticks are not mechanically or otherwise linked.

This causes problems with CRM and SA, and for example training cadets to flare and land. With ever other type I have flown, I have been able to "follow through" by softly holding the controls to learn what inputs the Trainer was making at each stage of the flare and landing. However, with the Airbus FBW, this is not possible. It is difficult to even see the side-stick on the other side of the cockpit, let alone assimilate what inputs are being made.

Those poor b@stards in AF 447 never really had the chance to realise what Bonin was doing, (and why the hell was he doing it anyway?), but with linked side sticks, they could have.