PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Witnessing a crash
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2015, 08:37
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At Welshpool Airfield one day, many years ago...

A few of us were watching a microlight pilot take off, a student who'd just landed at Welshpool on a solo landaway. He must have been at about 1000 ft when there was a loud bang, then silence. We saw him turn 90 degrees and start descending. We could see approximately where he would have landed, so three of us joined the airfield owner in his Landrover and headed in that direction. Parked car, scaled a fence, reached microlight in field. He'd done very well, it looked a perfect field, but he was unlucky enough to hit a hidden ditch in the long grass, and the aircraft turned over. He was alright, but very disorientated, and had no recollection of what had happened. We all helped carry him out to the vehicle, and if I recall rightly, someone drove him to hospital. I can't remember the details of the outcome, but I believe he was OK.

As someone (Mary?) said earlier on, even the best pilot can't see a hidden ditch. This chap did very well, particularly for a student.

On where to land, I vaguely remember a story - true I believe - of a pilot who had engine failure over New York. No fields of course, so he flew through the window of a skyscraper. He took the wings off, but landed safely, and was uninjured enough to walk to the ambulance. If that's true, wow!